- "Offshore Heliport Design Guide" developed and maintained with the support of the State of Louisiana.
Offshore Gulf of Mexico sectional charts developed and maintained in cooperation with the FAA.
In cooperation with the FAA, the Offshore Operation Task Force Committee:
- Increased Flight Service Station facilities and services
- Established procedures for handling IFR flights offshore, and improved coordination of instrument operations
- Developed plans for improved communication and navigation aids offshore
- Improved weather reporting
- Established Loran C and radar as the primary navigation aids offshore
- Revised Instrument Flight Rule routes to cover most areas
- Improved weather forecasting through implementation of the National Weather Service Supplemental Aviation Weather Reporting Stations (SAWRS)
The Base Area Agreement/Air Traffic Control Committee established terminal flight procedures for congested areas in both on- and offshore areas off the coasts of Louisiana, Texas, and Alabama.
- The Military Liaison Committee in cooperation with Department of Defense organizations:
- Coordinated the Air Force abandonment of an air route in a heavily congested area
- Opened dialog with various federal agencies to resolve intercept concerns
Recommended Practices (RPs) published for:
- Passenger Management On and About Heliports" to improve passenger safety
- "Crane-Helicopter Operational Procedures" to minimize risks on helidecks during crane and helicopter operations
- "Helicopter-Tanker Operations" to provide guidance for safe helicopter operations on and around tankers
Offshore fish spotter briefings and reports.
- Passenger briefing film, developed as a general indoctrination film for all operations.
- Preflight briefing cards.
- Pilot Information and Frequency Cards.
- The Houston Heliport Task Force Committee assisted in improving procedures for flight in urban environments.
In summary, the HSAC and its members have improved offshore flight safety through persistent and knowledgeable communications with industry and government agencies, and with the mutual support and cooperation of other professional organizations, such as Helicopter Association International (HAI), American Petroleum Institute (API), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Offshore Operators Committee (OOC), and others. Contributions to the improvement of flight safety offshore in the Gulf of Mexico continue through the active involvement of the various HSAC committees.